International Technology Lawyer
Elisabeth Opie, International Technology Lawyer, has almost 20 years' international experience in the global innovation system.
Elisabeth Opie BA LLB(Hons) LLM GAICD has almost 20 years’ international experience in the global innovation system. Holding senior legal and executive positions, Elisabeth has worked with industry, spin-offs, research organisations and government. She has extensive experience in international business transactions, policy advice, negotiation and alternative dispute resolution. Her legal and executive experience has been developed across sectors such as IT, automotive, aerospace, health and energy. Elisabeth has experience in both non-contentious and contentious matters.
Elisabeth has received a number of awards in the field of international science and technology, including Business and Strategy Excellence Awards, and was the inaugural Global Research Alliance Fellow.
- Providing policy advice and advocacy relating to several standard setting and development organisations, including for ETSI, ITU, ISO and IEC, DVB and IEEE.
- Advising a major technology developer on issues related to the licensing of globally successful audio technology.
- Preparing submissions for a global technology developer in response to government reviews and calls for public comments encompassing patents, standards, competition law and international trade.
- Advising a world leader in precision testing on intellectual property aspects, as part of the design, manufacture and sale of a new product.
- Preparing and executing on a negotiation strategy for the implementation of advanced audio technology.
- Translating the Mediation Rules of a German Chamber of Industry and Commerce into English, as a specialist in alternative dispute resolution.
Career & qualifications
Elisabeth Opie BA LLB(Hons) LLM GAICD is based in Munich and is a qualified solicitor (Australia, and England and Wales), and is admitted as a European lawyer (europäischer Rechtsanwälte in Deutschland (EuRAG)).
Admissions and Membership
- Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales, Australia
- Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Victoria
- Entered in the Register of Practitioners of the High Court of Australia
- Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
- European lawyer (europäischer Rechtsanwälte in Deutschland (EuRAG))
- Member of the Rechtsanwaltskammer für den Oberlandesgerichtsbezirk München, The Law Institute of Victoria, and The Law Society of England and Wales
Standing Committee on Standards and Patents, International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriété Intellectuelle (AIPPI)), Australian National Group.
Legal and Governance Qualifications
- Master of Commercial Law, University of Melbourne, Australia with a focus on international business
- Graduate, Australian Institute of Company Directors, Australia
- Master of Laws, University of Melbourne, Australia with a focus on intellectual property law and international trade law
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours), Deakin University, Australia
- Qualified Lawyers’ Transfer Scheme (England and Wales)
Awards and citations
Strategic Excellence Award 2008
Lead counsel for the restructure of a major international joint venture. The team’s work resulted in reduced complexities of joint governance while retaining strong scientific cooperation, and the re-integration of capability (staff, assets and intellectual property).
Corporate Business Excellence Award 2005
International business (protection, defence, enforcement and exploitation of intellectual property rights), including customer relationship management, technology transfer, and marketing and business development.
Corporate Learning Culture Award 2005
Awarded for the promotion of practices for more effective learning from experience and sharing knowledge.
Australian In-House Lawyer Young Achiever of the Year (ACLA) 2003
The award recognises competence in and commitment to the field of law, along with leadership and managerial qualities.
Business Excellence Award 2002
Presented by the Minister for Science for outstanding commercial performance as part of a global team, relating to ground-breaking extended wear contact lens technology.
- ‘Bergsten’s Mark on the Law’s International Reasonable Person‘ in International Arbitration and International Commercial Law: Synergy, Convergence and Evolution
- Book Review: International Commercial Arbitration Volumes 1 and 2 by Gary Born, (2010) 14(2) Vindobona Journal of International Commercial Law & Arbitration
- Book Review: The Law of Damages in International Sales: The CISG and Other International Instruments by Djakhongir Saidov (2009) 13(1) Vindobona Journal of International Commercial Law & Arbitration
- ‘The Principle of Remediation’ in Sharing International Commercial Law across National Boundaries‘ Festschrift for Professor Albert Kritzer (C.B. Anderson and U. Schroeter (eds)), 2008
- Book Review: ‘A Practical Guide to International Arbitration in London’ by Hilary Heilbron QC 12(2) Vindobona Journal of International Commercial Law & Arbitration
- ‘Use of UNIDROIT Principles to help interpret Article 77 UN Convention for the International Sale of Goods’ in An International Approach to the Interpretation of the UN CISG (1980) as Uniform Sales Law; available at http://cisgw3.law.pace.edu/cisg/principles/uni77.html
- ‘The Economics of ADR: Is ODR the Next Efficiency?’ Journal of Alternate Dispute Resolution (Institute for Chartered Financial Analysts of India) - reprint of paper delivered at The Third Annual United Nations Forum on Online Dispute Resolution, 2004, Melbourne
- ‘Professional Development of Inhouse Counsel’ (2004) 7(7) Inhouse Counsel 75
- ‘So, you’re an in-house counsel. What now?’ (2004) 194 Lawyers Weekly, 4 June 2004; republished for Nixon Peabody LLP (Washington), January 2006
- ‘Foreword, Zapata Hermanos Sucesores, S.A. v. Hearthside Baking Co.’ (2002) 6(1) Vindobona Journal of International Commercial Law and Arbitration
- Associate Professor, Institut für Anwaltsrechts der Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin International Summer School on Alternative Dispute Resolution – a joint program with Tulane University School of Law, 2014 - present
- Guest Lecturer 2007 – Monash University Master of Business Administration
- Guest Lecturer 2002 – 2006 Monash University Master of Laws Program: ‘Current Issues in Electronic Commerce Law’
- Guest Lecturer 2005 Deakin University Undergraduate Law Program: ‘International Commercial Law’
Panels and Presentations
- Panelist, ETSI Workshop on Open Source and Standardisation: Legal Interaction 16 September 2016, Sophia Antipolis, France
- Panelist, Made in China 2025 versus Industrie 4.0, ‘Managing Disputes between Chinese and German business partners’ 8 June 2016, Frankfurt, Germany
- Panelist, Patents in Telecoms, ‘Injunctions’ 5 - 6 November 2015, Washington D.C., USA
- Panelist, Generations in Arbitration, ‘Cost and Effectiveness’ 15 March 2010, Hong Kong
- Panelist, International Chamber of Commerce – Australasian Forum for International Arbitration joint symposium 20 March 2010, Hong Kong
- Chairperson, ‘Towards Conformity: MAA Conference in Honour of Peter Schlechtriem’ sponsored by UNCITRAL and Chinese University 13 March 2010, Hong Kong
- Panelist / Chair of Generations in Arbitration conferences 2006 - 2009, Hong Kong and Vienna
- Presenter, ACICA Conference, ‘Controlling the Arbitration Process’, International Commercial Arbitration – Efficient, Effective and Economical? 4 December 2009, Melbourne, Australia
- Presenter, LegalWise Seminar: ‘Protecting yourself when advising Executives and the Board – James Hardie and risk management for in-house counsel’ 10 September 2009, Melbourne, Australia
- Chairperson, ‘Issues on the CISG Horizon: Conference in Honour of Peter Schlechtriem’ 2 April 2009, Vienna – Opening remarks published in the Vindobona Journal of International Commercial Law and Arbitration (August 2009)
- Panelist / Chair of Australasian Forum for International Arbitration Symposia 2005 - 2010, Melbourne, Sydney, Hong Kong, Singapore
- Presenter, Legalwise Seminar: Meeting the Challenges of In-House Counsel, ‘How to position the Legal Function as an essential part of your Business’ 22 May 2008, Melbourne, Australia
- Presenter, The Third Annual United Nations Forum on online Dispute Resolution, hosted by the International Conflict Resolution Centre at the University of Melbourne in collaboration with the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific, 'The Economics of ADR: is ODR the Next Efficiency?' 5 - 6 July 2004, Melbourne, Australia
- Presenter, Vienna International Arbitral Centre of the Austrian Federal Economic Chamber and the MAA, ‘Electronic Commerce and its Growing Importance in Law and Business’ 22 March 2002, Vienna, Austria
- Presenter, World Intellectual Property Organisation, Second Internet Domain Name Process, ‘International Non-proprietary Names and Domain Names’ 24 May 2001, Melbourne, Australia
Marco Lo Bue
Marco Lo Bue PhD LLM focuses on intellectual property and competition law, especially in high-tech and standardised technologies. Marco has extensive experience in several industries .
Marco Lo Bue PhD LLM focuses on intellectual property and competition law, especially in high-tech and standardised technologies.
Having worked in an award winning international law firm, he has extensive experience in several industries including information technology, telecom, automotive, pharmaceutical and medical devices as well as energy, fashion, eyewear and financial services. He has appeared in proceedings before the European Commission, national courts and competition authorities.
As a former legal advisor to a Commissioner at the Italian Competition Authority and as a member of the IP Working Group established therein, he has developed significant expertise in policy making, public relations and project management.
- Assisting clients from the ICT sector in the negotiation of licensing agreements involving standard-essential patents.
- Advising major companies in the fashion, eyewear and automotive industries on the implementation of selective distribution systems.
- Preparing and implementing antitrust compliance programs for several firms across different industries, including energy and financial services.
- Filing mergers and acquisitions before the European Commission and National Competition Authorities.
- Representing clients in antitrust investigations before the European Commission and National Competition Authorities.
- Filing actions for damages on behalf of companies harmed by infringements of IP and competition law
Career & qualifications
Marco Lo Bue PhD LLM is a qualified lawyer admitted to the bar in Italy (“Avvocato”), and a Member of the Rechtsanwaltskammer für den Oberlandesgerichtsbezirk München (EuRAG).
Master of Laws in Intellectual Property (LL.M. IP), Munich Intellectual Property Law Center, Germany
PhD in Law (Dr.jur.), Università degli Studi di Palermo, Italy
Non-Governmental Advisor to the International COmpetition Network appointed by the Italian Competition Authority.
Awards and citations
Legalcommunity Corporate M&A Awards 2017
Member of a team which was awarded as the “Competition Italian Antitrust Firm of the Year”. The judging panel awarded the prize for the winning mix of technical skill, experience and availability.
“The High Court Judgment on Unwired Planet vs. Huawei Narrows the Scope of Competition Law Defence in SEP Litigation”, in Italian Antitrust Review, 2017
“Patent Holdup and Holdout Under the New IEEE's IP Policy: Are These Breaches of Competition Law?”, in MIPLC Master Thesis Series (SSRN), 2017. https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2885364
“Are These Cartels? Price Guidelines Adopted by Standard Setting Organisations”, in Journal of European Competition Law and Practitioners, 2016
“Trasferimenti di diritti tecnologici, accordi transattivi e aggregazioni di brevetti nel Regolamento (UE) n. 316/2014”, in Federalismi.it, 2015
“The Commission Decisions on Samsung and Motorola: antitrust effects of licensing out “SEPs””, in Italian Antitrust Review, 2015
“From Fiscal Compact to the United States of Europe: Some Remarks on a Difficult Pathway”, in The Digest N.I.A.B.A. Law Journal, 2014
“Crisi economica e trasformazione delle istituzioni europee”, G. Giappichelli Editore – Torino, 2013 (PhD thesis; http://www.giappichelli.it/crisi-economica-e-trasformazione-delle-istituzioni-europee,3483598)
“Il "guinzaglio di Karlsruhe" e la sentenza del Bundesverfassungsgericht sul piano degli aiuti alla Grecia”, in Nuove Autonomie, 2012
“La crisi del debito greco e la reazione dell'Unione”, in Quaderni costituzionali, 2011
“Stato e mercato: un nuovo assetto dopo la crisi?”, in Rivista giuridica del Mezzogiorno, 2010